[ltp] Strange HD noises from Thinkpad 600

Martin Sanborn linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:36:10 -0600

I just today updated the BIOS on my Thinkpad 600 to the latest one (1.22 or
IBET54WW) so that my machine would support a DVD drive that I'm using in
place of my dead CDROM. I also added a password for the hard drive in the
BIOS.

Now, the hard drive is making rather strange noises. It sounds like it is
spinning up, scans for a second, then makes a slightly louder thunking noise.
I'm quite afraid that this means the HD is on the fritz. However, I suppose
it could have been the BIOS change or the addition of the BIOS password that
could be causing it. The HD passes the tests stored in the BIOS. Anyone with
similar experience?

I'm running Debian woody, kernel 2.4.16 with xfs.

Thanks.

Marty Sanborn

--
| Martin Sanborn - Dept. of Chemical Engineering - Northwestern University |
| m-sanborn@nwu.edu - (847)467-1653 - http://zeolites.cqe.nwu.edu/marty |