[ltp] Video corruption in console mode

Jean-Philippe Jung (Home) linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:57:53 -0500

Hi,

TP 240X, 800x600. Running Redhat 7.2 (stock CD setup), with graphical login
enabled. If I switch to a console and login, then switch from console (F1)
to graphical (F7) several times, I end-up with a graphical-garbaged screen
in console mode (looks a bit like a regular monitor out of synch), and still
correct graphic mode with X. Sometimes, I get garbage graphics in all mode
(including the X console) and I just can CTRL+ALT+DEL. The machine still
responds to keyboard / mouse, but besides halting the system, I can't really
use it.

I was thinking of an X problem, but upgrade to XFree 4.2.0 did not fix that.
I have to power off the machine then restart in order to get that fixed
(until next time...).

Any idea of a process / program that could cause the console mode display to
behave so badly?

Thanks,

JP