Fwd: Re: [ltp] Video corruption in console mode

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 20:55:51 +0100

On Thursday, 31. January 2002 19:57, Jean-Philippe Jung (Home) wrote:
> y Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
> Sender: owner-linux-thinkpad@bm-soft.com
>
> Hi,
>
> TP 240X, 800x600. Running Redhat 7.2 (stock CD setup), with graphical login
> enabled. If I switch to a console and login, then switch from console (F1)
> to graphical (F7) several times, I end-up with a graphical-garbaged screen
> in console mode (looks a bit like a regular monitor out of synch), and
> still correct graphic mode with X. Sometimes, I get garbage graphics in all
> mode (including the X console) and I just can CTRL+ALT+DEL. The machine
> still responds to keyboard / mouse, but besides halting the system, I can't
> really use it.
>
> I was thinking of an X problem, but upgrade to XFree 4.2.0 did not fix
> that. I have to power off the machine then restart in order to get that
> fixed (until next time...).
>
> Any idea of a process / program that could cause the console mode display
> to behave so badly?

This seems to be a "missunderstanding" between the driver and the graphic
chip.

Sometimes when my TP 765L wakes up from hibernation/suspend I also have a
display that looks like the LCD can't sync in X as well as in the text
console. To get back the display I have to do the following steps:

1. Switch to a text console
2. Press Fn+F3 (Screen goes blank, backlight is now off)
3. Press any key to resume

Now I have a restored text console. I can switch to the X display and
continue to work.

Btw., my TP 765L uses a Trident cyber9385. I didn't had this problem with
XFree86 3.3.x.

Tino