[ltp] which distro 4 a linux newbie T20?

Michal Lisecki linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 20:14:25 +0200

Hello all,

Ever since I've had my T20 (2647-44G; 11GB/200MB/8MB Video) I've been
thinking of installing Linux on that. I am now using W2K Prof. with 2 NTFS
partitions. My knowledge of Linux is basic (I only did a simple Debian
install and got it running with X on a desktop) therefore I would like you
to suggest which Linux distribution should I have a go for? My
requirements/expectations/questions are as follows:
- fairly trouble-free install on T20,
- what partitioning would you suggest for a 11GB hdd (I need to leave at
least 6GB for W2K and I would need Linux mainly for wordprocessing and
simple networking, i.e. connecting with various LANs) I guess I won't need
much for that but what would be a minimum?

Right now I have access to Debian r4i3. Would that be a good choice for a
T20? I do realize I might have a lot of trouble installing any Linux distro
on a laptop that's why I would rather choose a one with a possibly most
trouble-free installing procedure and easy X setup on a S3 Graphics
Savage/IX 1014.

I would be very thankful for any hints and suggestions. Perhaps you might
also be able to point me to some "Linux-for-dummies"-like sites on the
Internet ;-)

Sorry to be such an ingnorant but I am hoping to learn more about Linux
with your help. I just got tired with some "freeze" problems in W2K while
writing some important articles or documents.

Thx in advance 2 u all