PCMCIA and suspend/hibernate (Re: [ltp] t30 experiences?)

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:44:04 -0400

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:32:42 -0700 (PDT)
Jon Tabor <sentar@www.nwscan.net> wrote:

> Maybe I'm just special, but on my TP 600E 2645-4AU, I can suspend the
> system without any trouble.  I usually have to stop and restart the
> PCMCIA services and networking when I come back up, but it will go down
> just fine.

Sounds like it'd be easier to take out the card and put it back in again
so networking is brought back up again automatically.

> I haven't made any special changes to my system.  Just running Red Hat
> 7.3 out of the box with a 3COM PCMCIA networking card.

My 380XD (what I'm using at the moment) is running RH 7.2 with updates.
Had the same results with 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2, though.  I *did* have to
recompile the kernel on all of these to prevent lockups on suspend,
though.  Is this still required with 7.3?

> Maybe it's *how*
> I'm sending it into suspend -- I su up to root from an xterm, then type
> 'apm --suspend'.  Using  the [Fn]+F4 combo puts the system into standby
> only.

I usually use hibernate (Fn+F12), as my battery's dead.  Works great, but
I've gotta take out the card first.

> I don't, however, have an option on apm to hibernate the system.  Going
> to have to look into that, as that would be dang handy.

Can't you make the Thinkpad 600 go from suspend into hibernate after a
certain time with PS2?  Or how about setting the power switch so it makes
the machine hibernate rather than turning it off?