PCMCIA and suspend/hibernate (Re: [ltp] t30 experiences?)

David Grindrod linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 20:41:04 +0200

--------------030904000901050405040705

I have tried stopping the pcmcia daemons  (which stops all access to the
cards or should do) and tried to do a suspend. This still does not work.
It seems if the card is phsically in the slot then it will not suspend.
Remove the card with or without the daemons running and suspend works
fine. I have  tried the options  in the script apmd (in /etc/sysconfig
under RedHat) and nothing made any difference. The only thing left to
try is some of the options in the kernel to see if this works. My config
options for .4.18 kernel are given below.

Dave

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y

Jon Tabor wrote:

>Maybe I'm just special, but on my TP 600E 2645-4AU, I can suspend the
>system without any trouble.  I usually have to stop and restart the PCMCIA
>services and networking when I come back up, but it will go down just
>fine.
>
>I haven't made any special changes to my system.  Just running Red Hat 7.3
>out of the box with a 3COM PCMCIA networking card.  Maybe it's *how* I'm
>sending it into suspend -- I su up to root from an xterm, then type 'apm
>--suspend'.  Using  the [Fn]+F4 combo puts the system into standby only.
>
>I don't, however, have an option on apm to hibernate the system.  Going to
>have to look into that, as that would be dang handy.
>
>Jon
>
>On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 19:03:22 +0200
>>David Grindrod <dkgrindrod@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>
>>>The only problem I have is that if a card is
>>>left in the PCMCIA slot on suspend then it does not suspend.
>>>
>>>I have not had a lot of feedback on this forum on this subject  but it
>>>has been suggested this behavior happens with all Thinkpads.
>>>
>>For what it's worth, this is exactly the behavior I get with suspend or
>>hibernate on my two (comparatively ancient) Thinkpads - a 760XD and a
>>380XD.  Suspend (or hibernate) won't work (the machine beeps at me) if
>>there's a card in a PCMCIA slot.  If I eject the card, suspend and
>>hibernate work fine.  This is true no matter what I do with
>>configurations.
>>
>>This isn't an issue for me, as when I'm putting the computer to sleep
>>I usually want to eject the PCMCIA ethernet card anyway, as it's the
>>dongle-less kind that sticks out of the side (Netgear 410TX).

--------------030904000901050405040705

<head>
</head>
I have tried stopping the pcmcia daemons &nbsp;(which stops all access to the
cards or should do) and tried to do a suspend. This still does not work.
It seems if the card is phsically in the slot then it will not suspend. Remove
the card with or without the daemons running and suspend works fine. I have
&nbsp;tried the options &nbsp;in the script apmd (in /etc/sysconfig under RedHat) and
nothing made any difference. The only thing left to try is some of the options
in the kernel to see if this works. My config options for .4.18 kernel are
given below. <br>
Dave<br>
CONFIG_APM=y<br>
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set<br>
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set<br>
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set<br>
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y<br>
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set<br>