[ltp] Re: PCMCIA and suspend/hibernate

Jon Tabor linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:36:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:44:04 -0400
Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Sounds like it'd be easier to take out the card and put it back in again
> so networking is brought back up again automatically.

Yeah, that works too.  I mean, if you want it to be easy.  :)

> My 380XD (what I'm using at the moment) is running RH 7.2 with updates.
> Had the same results with 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2, though.  I *did* have to
> recompile the kernel on all of these to prevent lockups on suspend,
> though.  Is this still required with 7.3?

I haven't had a single lockup going into or coming out of suspend using
7.3.  Of course, YMMV, as mine is a 600E.  I could load 7.3 on my wife's
380 and test it for you, but I like being married (Lesson 1: her laptop is
her laptop, her desktop is her desktop.  All the other computer crap is
mine).

> I usually use hibernate (Fn+F12), as my battery's dead.  Works great,
but
> I've gotta take out the card first.

Hitting Fn+F12 on my 600E produces a beep (low tone and short) regardless
of whether or not I have a card in.  Then again, I don't have tpctl
installed (won't compile - I think I'm missing some headers - RPM
anyone?), so I'm relying on straight apmd for all of this.

> Can't you make the Thinkpad 600 go from suspend into hibernate after a
> certain time with PS2?  Or how about setting the power switch so it
makes
> the machine hibernate rather than turning it off?

All good questions that warrant further exploration.  I'll play around a
bit and keep you posted.

Jon

--
"Eu acredito que você está na liga com o carniceiro.
I believe you are in league with the butcher."  - Miss Holly Golightly