[ltp] Partition Magic/Partition-It/Fips & Win XP

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 17:52:56 -0400

Getting a second Hard Drive is an excellent idea. (I have a 10 Gig Hard
drive from a TP600 from ages ago that I could use). Any idea how I could
copy over the hidden partition that contains the backup preinstall data?

(I will need some sort of a FAT/NTFS partition for the hibernation file
though in the linux drive).

Rob Mayoff wrote:
> +---------- On Jul 2, D. Sen said:
>
>>As a preliminary step to installing Linux, I am trying to resize a Win
>>XP (NTFS) partition (on a T30 Thinkpad). I am told fips wont work. Is
>>the $70 for the one time use of Partition Magic justified?
>

> Partition Magic can shrink NTFS partitions.  Whether that is worth $70
> is up to you.
>
> You might consider getting a second hard drive.  For example, here's a
> 6.4 GB hard drive on Ebay, currently at $40.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2034809411
>
> Maybe you could copy your XP installation onto it and then use your
> entire original hard drive for Linux.

D. Sen, PhD
http://www.auditorymodels.org/~dsen