[ltp] Re: PCMCIA and suspend/hibernate

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:02:59 -0400

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:36:28 -0700 (PDT)
Jon Tabor <sentar@www.nwscan.net> wrote:

> I haven't had a single lockup going into or coming out of suspend using
> 7.3.  Of course, YMMV, as mine is a 600E.  I could load 7.3 on my wife's
> 380 and test it for you, but I like being married (Lesson 1: her laptop
> is her laptop, her desktop is her desktop.  All the other computer crap
> is mine).

I got my RH 7.3 CDs in the mail today, so I suppose I will find out soon
enough. :)

> Hitting Fn+F12 on my 600E produces a beep (low tone and short)
> regardless of whether or not I have a card in.  Then again, I don't have
> tpctl installed (won't compile - I think I'm missing some headers - RPM
> anyone?), so I'm relying on straight apmd for all of this.

It's probably because you don't have a hibernation file.  You can make one
of these using the PS2.EXE utility from IBM that runs under DOS - unless
you still have a Windows parition.  (I don't think tpctrl can create
hibernation files.)  You'll also need a small FAT(16?) partition to hold
the hibernation file.  My partition table looks like this:

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1        30    120928+   6  FAT16
/dev/hda2            31       944   3685248   83  Linux
/dev/hda3           945       993    197568   82  Linux swap

That FAT16 partition contains my hibernation file and a few other things
(like PS2.EXE in case I want to muck about with BIOS settings).

> > Can't you make the Thinkpad 600 go from suspend into hibernate after a
> > certain time with PS2?  Or how about setting the power switch so it
> makes
> > the machine hibernate rather than turning it off?

> All good questions that warrant further exploration.  I'll play around a
> bit and keep you posted.

These can be set up using that same PS2.EXE utility.  I don't know whetehr
tpctrl handles those settings or not.