[ltp] which distro 4 a linux newbie T20?

Jim Redmond linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 03 Jul 2002 08:50:36 -0500

> which Linux distribution should I have a go for?
Other people have suggested SuSE, Red Hat, and Mandrake, and I'd just
like to offer up Desktop/LX (by Lycoris; formerly Redmond Linux, a name
which I favored for some reason ;).  It's very simple to install, the
installer can handle partitioning on its own if you let it, and the KDE
GUI should be quite familiar to any Windows user.  (Caveat - I was
unable to get Desktop/LX to install on my 760XL due to some trouble in
their boot floppies.  I've only seen it work on machines which can boot
from CD-ROM.)

> (I only did a simple Debian
> install and got it running with X on a desktop)
If you've managed to get X running in Debian you're well on your way.
Debian is the distro of choice for the masochist newbie, IMNSHO.

> Perhaps you might
> also be able to point me to some "Linux-for-dummies"-like sites on the
> Internet ;-)
http://www.tldp.org/  The Linux Documentation Project
http://www.linux-laptop.net/  Laptop-specific stuff
And the documentation for your chosen distro should be able to answer a
lot of questions.

Good luck!  Let us know how it turns out.

--
Jim Redmond
jim@scrubnugget.com