FW: [konu@ottawa.com: Re: [ltp] Partition Magic/Partition-It/Fips & Win XP]

Meidinger,Christopher linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 18:00:29 +0200

Hello Kristjan, Hello List,

I'm a bit confused what you guys are (were) trying to do, but here are some
ideas.

If you want to use the XP Preload rather than installing XP yourself, then
you will need a tool to change the partition size. My favorite way to do
this is to burn an image of the hard drive (I use ghost for imaging, but
drive image, hdcopy, whatever you like to use will work) and then change the
size of the partition when you copy the image back from CD to HDD. This way,
if lightnig strikes, and every program burns a drive once in a while, you're
safe.

So now you have a smaller XP Partition, and the IBM service partition. I see
no reason to delete the IBM service partition, because it is useful, and
only takes up a little over a gig. SO then you can use your favorite tool to
create all your linux partitions, and install linux.

Now, during the linux installation you have to choose a boot method. If you
want to use LILO or Gump in the MBR, save a copy of the original MBR from
IBM. The original MBR gives you the option to hit F11 at boot time, and
recover the machine. To save the MBR, hit F11 when the computer starts, and
navigate through the menus until you find the one that creates a boot disk
to restore the original MBR. If anyone needs this disk, mail me, i'd be
happy to send you a .img of it.

If you would prefer to keep the original MBR, either use GRUB/LILO, or use
the XP boot manager. Grub or Lilo will let you add the XP partition to the
boot list very easily. If you want to use the XP boot list, you need to copy
the first 512 bytes of your /boot partition (where GRUB is installed) to a
file, and boot from that in the XP file system. Don't forget to make a
bootdisk when you install linux, or you will not be able to boot it until
the following process is finished.

I stole this plan from http://www.coelacanth.com/~nick/t23/#ntbldr, so he
gets the credit for getting linux into the XP boot loader. Anyway, install
your Linux to boot from the first sectors of the boot partition, and do NOT
overwrite the MBR. Then do this: (Stolen material!)

       dd if=/dev/hda5 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
       mcopy bootsect.lnx a:

Use that command to make your boot file, and put it in C:\. Then add this
line to your boot.ini:

      C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux GRUB Boot"

Presto, you can boot Linux from the XP Boot manager.

If you install XP by hand when linux is already on the drive, you can decide
how you want to partition the disk at install time, and (assuming you have a
linux boot disk) set up your XP to boot linux as described above, so you
should experience almost no hassles.

I hope this made sense, it's 6pm here in germany, and it's been a very very
long day. So just mail me if you have questions, and tell me if you think
this is complete bullshit.

mfG Chris Meidinger
DV-Support bei der Peguform GmbH
Tel. 07663 61 2600