[ltp] Partition Magic/Partition-It/Fips & Win XP

Norman Levin linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 09:00:17 -0500

D. Sen wrote:
>> As a preliminary step to installing Linux, I am trying to resize a
>> Win XP (NTFS) partition (on a T30 Thinkpad). I am told fips wont
>> work. Is the $70 for the one time use of Partition Magic justified?

** you will use it more than once.  Since PM can adjust ext2 partitions, you
can juggle your linus partition size when running windows.  If you have
an ext3 partition, you will have to turn it into an ext2 partition before you
boot to linux "tune2fs -O ^ has_journel"  (check that option) and then
you can reboot.  If you move /boot, do NOT be surprised if LILO will not boot
your linux system.  Have a rescued diskette for that.  Or, if installing from RH,
use the CD in rescue mode OR pretend you are doing an install but don't select
anything and it will put lilo back on. (Don't know about grub on this).
If you are using SUSE 8 - I was disappointed to find the rescue mode of the
bootable
CD did not work.  It froze on reading input from the keyboard.