[ltp] fyi: booting without network

Dale P. Smith linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 09:12:10 -0400

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 15:05:20 +0200
Robert Andersson <robert@gslt.hum.gu.se> wrote:

> so in my "linux, no net" boot option i will set bootwithoutnet=yes as
> an extra option, this will look like this in my grub menu.lst file
>
>  title linux, no net
>  kernel (hd0,5)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 devfs=mount quiet vga=788 bootwithoutnet=yes
>  initrd (hd0,5)/boot/initrd.img
>
> then in my /etc/init.d/network file i will check if the environment
> variable bootwithoutnet is set to yes like this
>
>  if [ "${bootwithoutnet}" = "yes" ]; then
> 	exit 0
>  fi
>
> that's it. :) i also wrote a small shellscripts netup and netdown that
> brings up or down the net for my users using sudo...

I'm using Debian (sid) with ifup/ifdown on a t21.  I use my laptop all
over the place, some places with dhcp, some with fixed addresses,
different printers, different dns issues.  What I did was to take
advantage of the "mapping" function in /etc/network/interfaces.

I keep a different printcap file for each place: /etc/printcap.PLACE and
/etc/printcap is just a symlink to it.  I have scripts in
/etc/network/if-{pre-up,up,down,post-down}.d/ that do the symlinking and
handle starting/stopping lpd.

Also in there, I have scripts that preserve what was in /etc/resolv.conf
before dhcp stomps all over it.  Basically, it wraps what dhcp (I'm
using pump) want to put in there with "# eth0 begin" and "# eth0 end"
pairs.

I also have a bit of python that pops up a list of all the schemes and
allows you to ifup/down your interface and select which scheme to use.
I usually have this tied to a button on gkrellm.

It's not automatic, but it's a very useful system.

I can send the mess to anyone that's interested.

-Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
Senior Systems Consultant,      | Treasurer,