[ltp] A31p BIOS upgrade and win2k

Joe Clark linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 7 Jul 2002 14:29:30 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Grindrod" <dkgrindrod@yahoo.com>
To: <linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2002 4:01 PM
Subject: [ltp] A31p BIOS upgrade and win2k

>   I have recently upgraded my BIOS on my A31p to the latest version
> (1.02 - 1GET30WW) following suggestions by IBM. After upgrading by
> downloading and running (as the IBM Update program did not work)
> everything seemed fine until I booted into Windows 2000 after booting
> into Linux.

Does this mean that you were able to boot into Win2k before you booted into
Linux? Or does it mean that you booted into Linux and found everything
working satsifactorily so you moved on to test out Win2k?

>Windows would not boot no matter what I did and comes back
> with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE in the  blue screen of death. I have
> performed all the obvious things (booting from repair console and
> installing mbr etc.) to fix things but always get the same error. Linux
> runs fine  and luckily I can boot into this and try and fix the problem.

I would recommend that
 1)  you restore you original BIOS, if you haven't already.
2) Assuming that you are able to boot Win2k after restoring the original
BIOS, backup and remove Linux from your system
3) Upgrade your BIOS onto your single OS system and get any help you need
from IBM
4) Restore Linux and live happily ever after or at least until the next
crisis.

JC