[ltp] New...

Vidyut Luther linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:04:28 +0000 (CST)

New To windows, so won't be able to answer your windows question...
But for linux,

Tho Redhat 6.1 will work with the 600E, you should get the latest
distribution which currently is 7.3. The reason for this is that 1. you'll
get the latest greatest and won't have to hunt for bugfixes that may still
be around with 6.1, and two if you do try to find bugfixes or rpms for
6.1, you'll have trouble. Redhat is already on it's newest beta called
Limbo, which means a new release is about to happen, the changes are quite
major to the installer and to the interface, so I will assume the next
version (it can take a few months, as limbo is currently very buggy on
my A31P), will be 8.0. When 8.0 comes out, I'm pretty sure up2date will no
longer have a channel for 6.1.

I'll stop rambling now, basically the summary is: Get 7.3 if you want
redhat, or the latest version of any other distro.

As for things like the BIOS, my philosophy is, if it ain't broke, don't
fix it. If things are running fine for you, then you're probably fine.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Steven Crane wrote:

> New to Linux.
> New to Thinkpad.
> New to the Linux-Thinkpad mailing list.
>
> Less than a week ago, I finally got my grubby techno-paws on an old Thinkpad 600e.
>
> One reason is that I need to maintain access to some important files in case of a
> disaster while doing some upgrades to my main computer. Another reason is that I feel
> its about time I started moving towards Linux... preferably without risking the important
> files on the main computer from reason one.
>
> The Thinkpad is a 600e, pII 366MHz, 128Mb, 6.4GB, DVD (swappable with otherwise
> external Floppy), version 5645-AL3, 1024x768 13+" display.
>
> The harddrive is currently partitioned 2, 2, 2+ GB. At the moment the 2+ partition is
> intended for Linux. The most Linux can have is likely to be 3+ GB.
>
> I have some very minimal experience of installing Red Hat 6.1 on an old p150 machine,
> and was very please with finally gettting the 14" Shinho monitor to display at 800x600
> as this required manually locating and adjusting the frequency range in the relevant file.
> Not exactly complex stuff, but tracking it down and identifying felt like a big step.
>

> Questions...
>
> 1 - BIOS upgrade?
>
> Existing BIOS is v24, currently available is v36. Limited research shows that v26-29
> would be likely to give me problems with some Linux installations, so I'm probably safe
> with what I have. Leave well alone or run the upgrade?
>
> 2 - Linux version?
>
> I have an off the shelf copy of RedHat 6.1 with all the manuals and minimal experience
> of using it and the Xwin (?) interface. On-line pages suggest that it is reasonably
> supported by a 600e. Okay place to start? Any suggestions welcome, although I'll feel
> safer with something relatively mainstream as an introduction. SuSE lists the 600e as
> certified hardware under their v6.3
>

> 3 - Windows 98?
>
> Any way to get a processor ID through Win98? All I can tell is that it is a Pentium II,
> doesn't seem to be any indication of MHz?
>
> Anyone care to recommend an Anti-Virus package for this age and speed of machine?
> Norton is ABSOLUTELY out of the question and to be honest I'm not particularly fond of
> McAfee as an e-mail scanner either.
>
> ---Steven

Vidyut Luther
Linuxpowered, Inc
http://www.linuxpowered.com
p:732-822-5689
p:210-685-1861
pager: pagevid@linuxpowered.com
f:1-877-576-6327
One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs.  -- Robert Firth