[ltp] New...

Mon, 8 Jul 2002 12:09:01 -0400

On Monday 08 July 2002 11:56, you wrote:
> New to Linux.
> New to Thinkpad.
> New to the Linux-Thinkpad mailing list.
>
> Less than a week ago, I finally got my grubby techno-paws on an old
> Thinkpad 600e.

Congrats, I'd like one of those, (mine is TP600 PII300)

> One reason is that I need to maintain access to some important files in
> case of a disaster while doing some upgrades to my main computer. Another
> reason is that I feel its about time I started moving towards Linux...
> preferably without risking the important files on the main computer from
> reason one.
>
> The Thinkpad is a 600e, pII 366MHz, 128Mb, 6.4GB, DVD (swappable with
> otherwise external Floppy), version 5645-AL3, 1024x768 13+" display.
>
> The harddrive is currently partitioned 2, 2, 2+ GB. At the moment the 2+
> partition is intended for Linux. The most Linux can have is likely to be 3+
> GB.
>
> I have some very minimal experience of installing Red Hat 6.1 on an old
> p150 machine, and was very please with finally gettting the 14" Shinho
> monitor to display at 800x600 as this required manually locating and
> adjusting the frequency range in the relevant file. Not exactly complex
> stuff, but tracking it down and identifying felt like a big step.

I have Gentoo 1.2 installed and running fine on my TP600. Have had SuSe 7.3,
and FreeBSD as well. No real problems, A little tricy with sound, but for the
most part all went well.

> Questions...
>
> 1 - BIOS upgrade?
>
> Existing BIOS is v24, currently available is v36. Limited research shows
> that v26-29 would be likely to give me problems with some Linux
> installations, so I'm probably safe with what I have. Leave well alone or
> run the upgrade?

My BIOS is reporting IBET54WW, 09/18/99

> 2 - Linux version?
>
> I have an off the shelf copy of RedHat 6.1 with all the manuals and minimal
> experience of using it and the Xwin (?) interface. On-line pages suggest
> that it is reasonably supported by a 600e. Okay place to start? Any
> suggestions welcome, although I'll feel safer with something relatively
> mainstream as an introduction. SuSE lists the 600e as certified hardware
> under their v6.3

As above. Go with a current distro, installation is much esier with a newer
version.

> 3 - Windows 98?
>
> Any way to get a processor ID through Win98? All I can tell is that it is a
> Pentium II, doesn't seem to be any indication of MHz?

Not sure why the question. If you are asking for kernel compilition, it is a
Intell P686 series.

> Anyone care to recommend an Anti-Virus package for this age and speed of
> machine? Norton is ABSOLUTELY out of the question and to be honest I'm not
> particularly fond of McAfee as an e-mail scanner either.

I don't know. I do not run any virus scanner on my machines with Linux/Unix.
I do not run any e-mail system that would allow any of the windoze viri to
infect me, I suppose some script kiddies could get past my firewall but
they'd have to try pretty hard, especially on a dial-up like I have.

Mike