[ltp] New...

Vidyut Luther linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:38:13 +0000 (CST)

When you install linux, do a cat /proc/cpuinfo

the newer 2.4 kernels actually can tell you the Mhz

Example from mine:

 cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 3
model name      : Pentium II (Klamath)
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 267.278
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov
mmx
bogomips        : 532.48

this is a workstation i'm forced to work on @ work. :).. it sucks when
your personal computer is 10 times better than your work computer.

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Steven Crane wrote:

> ...Any way to get a processor ID...
>
> "Not sure why the question."
>
> Several available processor speeds for this machine. No obvious way of checking that
> what I actually have is what I paid for.
>
> Pretty much everything else is reported through the software, can't see an easy way to
> check the processor speed (or at least not one that doesn't involve a screwdriver).
>
> ---Steven

Vidyut Luther
Linuxpowered, Inc
http://www.linuxpowered.com
p:732-822-5689
p:210-685-1861
pager: pagevid@linuxpowered.com
f:1-877-576-6327
"If it isn't source, it isn't software."  -- NASA