[ltp] fyi: booting without network

Meidinger,Christopher linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:25:00 +0200

 As a Windows Network Admin i've taken the plunge, killed windows, formatted
my hard drive, and installed Linux. So i hope this question is not idiotic.
Nonetheless, my solution for this under windows has always been 2 Hardware
Profiles, and the Network Card is simply not installed in one of them.
Seemed to be the cleanest to me.

Does anyone have an idea whether this would be possible in Linux?

Thanks, Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: D. Sen
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sent: 7/6/02 5:03 PM
Subject: Re: [ltp] fyi: booting without network

Thanks Robert. Thats a neat solution.

I guess a perfect solution is for a daemon which checks for network
activity/electrical connection on the ethernet port in the background.
This way it can call 'ifup ethX' when activity is detected. My typical
usage profile involves connecting the laptop to a LAN at home and again
a LAN at work. Right now, I have to manually ifup the ports at each
location.

DS

--
D. Sen, PhD