[ltp] 760el display

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:08:38 +0200

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 00:12:53 -0700, Daniel wrote:
> hey, im new to  linux, i previously had win95 on my 760el.
> im in the process of downloading and installing slackware
> linux.  I am having some difficulty configuring x window.
> whenever i try to start it, it loads but the screen is
> garbled.  is this incorrect refresh rate? both the auto
> configuration, and when i did it manually give the same
> results,  changing color depth does affect the color of the

If you would tell us what version of XFree86 you are using I think
there would be a kind soul on the list and post a working XF86Config
for you.

> "fuzz" and thats about it.  also i cant get lilo to load in
> any resolution to load higher than 640x480. anyways, im
> gonna go back and mess around with it some more.

VESA framebuffer won't work because the VESA bios of your TP is too
old. However, kernel 2.4.18 has support for Trident framebuffer. Look
at http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/tridentfb for the newest
version. I tested it on my 765L (Cyber9385) and got a wonderfull
1024x768 console :-). There are still some problems like disabled
acceleration after switching to another virtual console or the hang
after a reset, but it's work in progress.

Regards,
Tino

--
tino.keitel@innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG