[ltp] TV Output from R30

ZeiMoT linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:42:24 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Andrzej Wasowski wrote:
> One thing I am afraid of is if it is able to emit PAL signal. There is
> no NTSC/PAL setting in BIOS, any many computer vendors actually ship

In the display properties (advanced settings) in windoze 9x I was able to
select either NTSC/PAL TV-out. I was able to run dualhead (tft + tvout)
and singlehead (tft / tvout). So there is probably possible to adjust
settings in the R30's trident card to select single or dualhead and also
specify which adapter goes to which graphics port.

a lspci -vv output for the trident card R30 gives:
---[cut]----
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Trident Microsystems: Unknown device
8620 (rev 5d) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 0502
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
---[end of output]----

I assume that Region 0 which is a 8MiByte area is the primary graphics
adaptor (the one usually used by the tft).
Region 2 is of the same size and thus is probably the second display's
memory. A first check would be to trace changes in the Region 1 while
changing the display settings in windoze.

In windoze I have played some movies both as dualhead (tft+svhsout) and
singlehead (svhsout) using PAL, so it's possible to use PAL with the svhs
out, I have even recorded to VHS using this output.

What if it is possible to get direct access to the svhs port, that would
enable video recording as well. Well, good luck with the exploration.
I lack a lot in knowledge how to read these memory areas in windows,
therefore I cannot make any analyses.

Good luck, if you succeed, let me know, I am stumbling around with this
myself, no luck yet. I'd rather watch movies with xine in linux than to
reboot to play movies in windoze. If this gets solved I will not need my
windoze anymore.

  -=< ZeiMoT >=-

 D a n i e l                                              /ei|\/|o |
 D a l e t h s s o n                                     /_  |  |  |