Antw: Re: [ltp] DVD NFS to other machine

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:59:55 -0600

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 09:23:15 +0100 (BST)
J Lentin <jl99@doc.ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> >Probably you would need a dvd player that is split into two parts and
> >that is able to decode DVD data on one machine and then send a (IP?)
> >stream to another machine, read the stream and display it. (And send
> >commands to the decoder machine back.)
>
> To sort this out, you may well want to look at the VideoLan project.
> This intends to do exactly what you're after.
>
> http://www.videolan.org

	Yes, I was waiting for someone to point this out.

	NFS is the Wrong Way To Do It, but a 10bT lan with little network traffic can
certainly pull it off.

	DVD video averages about 7.5 mb/s iirc. It's variable bitrate video. My Toshiba
dvd player has a bitrate meter available in it's OSD, I've watched it a few
times out of curiosity - most DVDs fluctuate between 6 and 8 mb/s, sometimes
peaking over 9, and sometimes (such as in a long fade-to-black) falling as low
as 3.

	So, a switched or at least little-used 10bT network has enough bandwidth to
watch a DVD over. a 100bTX lan wouldn't break a sweat. With the cost of a
low-end 100bTX hub being so low these days, anyone could have enough bandwidth
if they really cared.

	Since i brought it up, if anyone wants a really cheap rack-mountable (but
missing it's ears) 8 port 100bT hub, email me privately. (that's 100, not
10/100)

	As luck would have it, I happened to have a ripped VOB on an NFS volume, and
mplayer can certainly play it smoothly over the switched 10bT segment of my lan
at home. note, my mplayer is bleeding edge, and configured to buffer the input.

	VideoLan should have no trouble at all, and has a client for That Other
Operating System, should you want to use it.

 - Eric