[ltp] DVD NFS to other machine

James Holden linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:04:26 +0100

No, it won't work. Playing DVDs uses special ioctls to do things with the
drive's firmware for the decryption. Just transferring file data won't work.

Why not hook your 19" crt up to the vga port on the thinkpad?

Or just spend 40 quid on a dvd drive for the desktop.

Videolan may be able to do it though. www.videolan.org has the details. I think
they're aiming at somthing which may achieve the same goal, abstracting the
video source from the display.

James

Quoting Michael James <mjames@rossby.metr.ou.edu>:

> I know this isn't the most appropriate forum for this question, but I
> trust the collective knowledge of this group more than most.
>
> Has anyone tried to mount their laptop DVD drive to a desktop machine via
> NFS?  I'd prefer to watch movies on a 19" CRT than a 14" LCD.  If anyone
> has tried this or done this I'd like to hear your experiences.  Thanks.
>
> Michael James

>  Michael R. James
>  Oklahoma Climatological Survey
>
>    [WWW]:  http://weather.ou.edu/~mjames
>            http://mjames.allyourbasearebelongto.us
>  [PHONE]:  (405) 325-3231
>  [EMAIL]:  mjames@weather.ou.edu

James Holden, Leeds, United Kingdom
james-at-microcosmos.co.uk
In a world without boundaries, who needs Gates?