[ltp] t30 pcmcia glitches...

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 09:47:44 -0400

Robert S. Thau wrote:
 > I've got RedHat 7.3 running on a T30, mostly painlessly; there is one
 > annoying glitch I've run into, however; cardmgr doesn't always detect
 > insertion or removal of my pcmcia modem.

Yes, I have noticed this too on my T30. I wonder if it has something to
do with these kernel boot-up messages:

Jul 11 17:17:24 calliope kernel: PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0
of device 02:00.0
Jul 11 17:17:24 calliope kernel: PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0
of device 02:00.1

lspci -v reports:

02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac55 (rev 01)
02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments: Unknown device ac55 (rev 01)

Are you using the yenta socket from the kernel or the pcmcia_cs package?
(I am using the kernel pcmcia support).

 > When the system boots up, cardmgr works fine.  However, once anything
 > in userland opens the device ("echo foo > /dev/modem" is enough),
 > cardmgr apparently no longer gets informed of card insertion and
 > removal.  Oddly, though, "cardctl status" correctly reports the
 > presence or absence of the physical cards, and explicit "cardctl
 > eject" and "cardctl insert" shell commands will allow me to manually
 > keep the kernel in synch with reality.  Lastly, an APM suspend/resume
 > will put cardmgr back in business, happily detecting card insertion
 > and removal --- until the next time I actually try to use the modem.
 >
 > As a yet more minor issue, the audio when the modem is dialing doesn't
 > seem to come in over the speakers.  I understand some people might
 > consider this a feature, not a bug, but the first time you hear an
 > irritated human voice instead of the modem squeals, you start to
 > appreciate the value of being able to monitor the process.
 >
 > (It won't suspend with the card in and powered up, but that's to be
 > expected with Thinkpads).
 >
 > Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!
 >
 > rst

D. Sen, PhD
http://www.auditorymodels.org/~dsen