[ltp] Clock losing time

Eric Jorgensen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 12:41:54 -0600

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:30:38 -0400
Vincent -LKV- <lkv@usa.net> wrote:

> I know this type of solution was already mentioned in this thread, but what
> I've done is use a program called "Dimension 4" which will access one of many
> reliable atomic clock time servers and synchronize your computer's clock
> accordingly.
>
> What I like even more about this little program is a feature that basically
> lets a user close the program after it synchronizes once.  If people need
> unwavering atomic clock accuracy, you can always sync up every 15 minutes or
> at an interval of choosing.

	syncing every 15 minutes would mean constantly wavering clock accuracy, rather
than merely drifting. This is bad. Changing the clock is a dangerous thing that
you don't want to do four times an hour. You can lose data doing things like
that.

	If you want unwavering clock accuracy, you need to run xntpd, all the time. oh,
and compile your kernel with "advanced real time clock support". It actually
learns over time what the drift rate of your clock is and makes tiny adjustments
for you.

	I don't understand why people settle for less, when xntpd is so easy to
configure.

 - Eric