[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:34:44 -0400

This modules.conf is from Redhat 7.x, but it did work on a 600E when i
tried it.  Sorry if it gets word-wrapped

/etc/modules.conf:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
          >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f
          /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || : options sound dmabuf=1
alias synth0 opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

The important bits, I believe, are the driver - cs4232 driver.  The
IRQ/etc. settings were correct for my machines.  I think you can check
these with the PS2 utility.

>From my reading of this list, it sounds like Mandrake is definitely the
distribution to avoid for Thinkpads.  I've had much better luck with Red
Hat.  I'd try Debian, but I despise their installer. :)

I used sndconfig to set up the sound in Redhat.