[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

Steven Crane linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:19:30 +0100

...You did choose an "expert" install didn't you?...

No. I am manifestly not an expert and really didn't fancy my chances at dealing with
any questions. Knowing that it offers defaults changes a lot, but I don;t think I'll be
running back to re-install just yet.

...You mention RH6.1 - just to check that you actually installed Mandrake 8.2 in the
end?...

Yes. Mandrake 8.2 is in and working as well as expected (ie. no modem or network
without a bit of research).

Something went wrong during that first install and I just couldn't make head nor tail of
the Mandrake partitioning options (or, more imprtantly, get back out of them). The old
RH install was plenty adequate for tidying up the mess so that Mandrake could pick its
own settings second time around.

...They should have been installed automatically if you included the documentation
options. To add them, use rpmdrake (under the menu of Configuration -> Packaging ->
Software Manager), and this will allow you to search for them. (Search for "howto")...

Nope. I selected every english language piece of documation I could find on the tree.
Repeated searches have turned up precious few pages and all of them individiual "one
in a folder documents, no "HOWTO" folder as in Redhat and indicated the Mandrake
manual. I can't get any better from searching under either "Installed" or "Installable".

I will give it another look, as I notice that there are a lot of duplicate entries on the KDE
menus that appear to, but do not necessarily, point to the same programme.

...Mandrake has quite a lot of its own tools. These are called drakconf and are in
Configuration -> Other -> Mandrake Control Center...

So far the tool has proven worse than useless.

Mysteriously the sound is now running, UNLESS you go anywhere near it with the
MCC. The control centre still misidentifies it as a CS46xx (still doesn't offer CS42xx as
an option) reports that it doesn't exist if you try to configure or probe it and also causes
it to stop working until you reboot.

While poking around I did find a listing for CS42xx in the Config file although it was
listed as "CS4232=m" instead of the expected "=y". Under other circumstances I may
simply have changed it, but there is a warning at the top of the file not to edit it directly.
Still, promising that it at least gets a listing in what appears to be a Mandrake
generated config file.

Install and run "sndconfig" and it apparently works fine, even played a CD, but let the
Mandrake Control Centre take a look at it and that's the last you'll hear from it this
session. Something is obviously still screwy but it seems to work just so long aas you
don't try to figure out how.

A lot of software still seems unduly quiet, but without really knowing what it is
supposed to sound like it is hard to tell. CD works, KDE intro and environment sounds
seem to be okay, WAV playback from a DOS partition works. Not so much as a peep
out of any of the tested games yet (which seems strange).

The only configuration tool that has actually worked is the Monitor one... and that only
because it allowed me to overide ALL of its defaults to select a workable LCD setting.

My overriding impression is that Mandrake 8.2 is really not geared to work with a piece
of kit as old as the 600e. Although, my initial reasoning behind buying a 600e still holds
good in that all of its components will work under Linux... with sufficient patience.

---Steven