[ltp] Linux/TP Newbie Questions

Tony Willoughby linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
15 Jul 2002 21:13:25 -0400

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 21:01, Rob Bell wrote:
> I'm pretty new to installing and configuring Linux systems but I've been
> using ThinkPads and Unix for many years.  I've got a few hopefully
> simple questions and would appreciate any pointers to where I can find
> the answers.  I know these aren't entirely ThinkPad related, so feel
> free to respond directly to not clutter the list.
>
> I have installed RH 7.2 on a ThinkPad A21p.  The install went well and
> the system is functioning fine.  With whatever options I choose during
> the install, I seem to have enabled the graphical mode to start
> automatically when I power on the system.  It boots into a window
> manager, which I believe is Gnome (but there are references to KDE on
> the start menu too).  There is a little 'footprint' for a start menu
> button, and from what I've seen that is Gnome.

Yes, sounds like Gnome.

> When I choose to exit
> Gnome the computer shuts down.  I never get to a console-only state
> (just in an xterm under Gnome).
>
> I'd like to try Window Maker as my window manager.  I think I can follow
> the instructions to build/install Window Maker, but I don't want to
> totally trash my current setup.  What can I do to exit to the console
> and run Window Maker but still get back to the ability to auto-start
> Gnome?  For that matter, if I like Window Maker, I'd like to auto-start
> it instead.  Can anyone tell me where the script is located that is
> automatically loading Gnome at start-up so that I can enable and disable it?

To change the default window manager, run the utility switchdesk.  I
believe that Windowmaker is part of RH.

The system starts the graphical login from "init level 5".  I suspect if
you look at /etc/lilo.conf you'll see that they have appended a "5" to
the boot string.  As root, remove the "5" and run /sbin/lilo then
reboot. This will cause you boot into init level 3, which is plain old
text mode.  Then you can login and run "startx" to start whatever
desktop is configured.

If you're using grub, you're on you're own.  :^)

> Thanks!
> Rob
> RobDBell _at_ netscape.net

Tony Willoughby     tonyw@pobox.com

I am Pentium of Borg. Division is Futile. You will be approximated.