[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 04:45:27 -0500

Arnold Troeger wrote:

>The most critical bit though is turning off
>PCIBUSPower.  If that's on, you'll have a hard time getting the sound
>card and modem working.

Hold on, this is only "critical" for the OSS CS4232 sound driver. In my
600e the PCIBUSPower is ON and my sound works fine with the ALSA CS4236
driver. The mwave modem works as well, and both work after suspends and
hibernates.

>I have a 3COM 100MB ethernet card that I use as
>well.  All are working together.  No, I don't use midi.  I haven't
>needed it.  "xmms" works without it.

Same here. I use a 3Com 3c575 cardbus NIC. Cardbus cards are usually
easier to deal with than older 16-bit PCMCIA cards. With ALSA I also
have the built-in MIDI synth working, as well as the so-called 3D
surround sound effect. ALSA gives a lot more control over the sound
chip. But I previously had the OSS driver working, and it is fine for
basic sound output. I also use USB audio (a Griffin iMic) as well.

>If you can get away from the DOS
>partition, by all means do so, but I think you need it for the
>hibernation file.  If someone else has a suggestion on how to set up the
>hibernation file on a non-dos partition I'm all ears (and eyes :-).

Well, the hibernation file seems to need either a FAT or a NTFS
partition, no getting around that I think.

wes