[ltp] T21 hibernation

Werner Horbelt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:04:16 +0200

IBM's standalone boot diskette supports two ways of hibernation:
a) hibernation partition: didn't work for me. ??
b) hibernation file on a primary FAT or FAT32 partition, see
http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/archives/200203/msg00047.html
and related postings.

> hiberfil.sys file on the
> Windows 2000 partition, put there by the recovery CD IBM suppplied
> with the Thinkpad.
W2K uses hiberfil.sys.
(my) Linux uses save2dsk.bin.

> Fn+F12 and tpctl --H both don't hibernate, but give a low beep
> sound. Fn+F4 does suspend.
> tpctl --H also gives this message:
>
> tpctl: SMAPI BIOS error 0x91 ("system is invalid") -- exiting

I get this message whenever certain loadable kernel modules
are loaded. This includes pcmcia and modem related modules.
Unfortunately sometimes he refuses to software eject the
pcmcia card -> can't unload the modules ->
can't hibernate without reboot

> Does hibernation work for you?
see above
> Which laptop do you have?