[ltp] Hibernation: worse than in Win2000

Werner Horbelt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 14:04:36 +0200

hi,

I got hibernation working (with problems) on my thinkpad x20 with
dual boot W2K + SuSE 7.3.
On W2K it works flawlessly.
On Linux it turns out to be much slower and has some flaws.

The W2K hibneration software is actually different, e.g. the messages
are german and only a small window appears.
Another difference is that W2K uses C:\HIBERFIL.SYS on an NTFS
partition while the Linux version uses the file save2dsk.bin on FAT.

Is FAT so much slower than NTFS?
Is it because the software is worse?

moreover, when hibernation worked, suspend behaved like hibernation:
a background image appeared and it seemed to save memory to
disk, but then it suspended correctly and waked up fast.
any idea?

once the machine even locked up completely when I did some action
(like pressing Fn) while he prepared to hibernate.

best regards
werner