[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

Richard linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:46:37 +0100 (BST)

> ...Do you want to know how the hibernation file is organized or do you don't know what
> hibernation is good for?...
>
> At this stage I really don't know ANYTHING about "Hibernation". I imagine that it has
> something to do with power saving and, more importantly, battery exhaustion.
>
> Power management is not something I've really tackled under Mandrake 8.2 as yet.
> KDE seems to virtually ignore it. The power management that I have managed to locate
> seems only concerned with the monitor and, to me, looks primarily geared towards an
> external monitor. I did notice a battery icon on the task bar in Gnome, so there must be
> some coverage within the software.

The command that you want is "apm -s", which is the equivalent of Fn-F4.
Under Mandrake, it should "just work", but first, you have to give
yourself the permissions to use it. Look in KDE -> Configuration -> Power
Management -> Laptop Power control.
It tells you that you need to make /usr/bin/apm setuid root, and gives
instructions on how.

Richard