[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 15:59:18 -0500

Steven Crane wrote:

>...the hibernation file seems to need either a FAT or a NTFS partition, no getting around
>that I think...
>
>Does FAT include FAT32 in the above statement?

Yes.

>My drive has only FAT32 and Linux partitions.
>
>I've just this morning upgraded to 288MB ram (2x 128MB + 32MB fixed) and when
>booting Win98 the system went through a little routine rebuilding the Hibernation file
>(automatically, nothing I initiated).

That's nice if you use hibernation, but a waste of nearly 300M disk
space if you don't.

>Didn't seem to be any problems, but then again, I'm really not sure what the
>"Hibernation File" is.

It is a file designated to hold the contents of your memory when you
initiate hibernation. You initiate hibernation, the ThinkPad BIOS takes
over and copies the contents of all RAM into the hibernation file (no
matter what OS was running), and then the ThinkPad switches off. This is
different from Suspend where nothing is copied (unless you have
ReadySafe enabled) and the ThinkPad merely goes into a low-power state
where the screen and HD are off, the CPU is halted, but the RAM is
powered. Going into and out of suspend is faster, but you must have
power at all times during suspend (battery or AC). During hibernation
all power is off.

ReadySafe is a configuration option whereby the ThinkPad sets up for
hibernation but then just suspends. There is also an option to
automatically go from suspend to hibernation after a certain elapsed
time or on low battery condition. Going into or out of suspension is
relatively quick, setting up for or coming out of hibernation is slower,
more so the more memory you have. So the various options allow you to
trade off safety and waiting time.

Newer ThinkPads can use a special hibernation partition as well as a
file on a FAT/NTFS partition. Windows 2K/XP can do its own software-only
hibernation. Software-only hibernation is being developed for Linux.

wes