[ltp] T21 hibernation

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:49:17 +1200

D. Sen wrote:

> Not true. I used stndalhd just last week to create a hibernation file
> on a fat32 partition on /dev/hda1.
>
> Using stndalhd to just create the hibernation file will result in the
> file being created in the first fat/fat32 partition that the file can
> reside in. In your case this will be /dev/hda2
>
> I am guessing that there isnt enough space in /dev/hda2 for a
> hibernation file.
>
> I have never had much luck with an a0 partition. I would try a
> different partition scheme with the first fat/fat32 partition large
> enough to hold the hibernation file.

I toggled /dev/hda1 (W$k) to type b (LILO is toggling hda1 and hda2 back
and forth for booting between them W2k and W98). I then pulled the
hiberfil.sys file off hda1. stndalhd says there isn't a large enough
contiguous space on my disks to create the file. (Thanks M$ - these
people look more and more like a Trojan Horse).

When I boot to W$k to defrag the disk, to try to arrange the contiguous
space - it auto-reinstalls the hberfil.sys and takes up all the room
again (see remark above).

D. Sen, it would be really helpful if you would answer a few questions:
Which machine do you have?
What operating systems do you boot on your machine?
What partition do you have your hibernation file on? What type does
linux fdisk say that partition is?
Which bootloader do you use?

I'd like to put a single hibernation file on the system that W$k uses
along with the BIOS hibernate, and I need the information so I can
figure out:
Is it possible?
What do I need to do to trick W$k into letting it be the way I set it up?

I don't expect anyone to figure this out for me, I just want the
information so I can look into it myself.

If necessary, I can dedicate room on /dev/hda2 to a separate hibernation
file, and eventually maybe just take W$k off my system once I've got
everything working in Linux (although I may need W$k for work depending
on which zombie employer I hook up with next).

But thanks for your answers - everything I learn helps me figure out
other issues later even if I find I can't do what I'm attempting now.

Regards,
Bret