[ltp] T21 hibernation

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 10:16:05 +1200

Werner Horbelt wrote:

>IBM's standalone boot diskette supports two ways of hibernation:
>a) hibernation partition: didn't work for me. ??
>b) hibernation file on a primary FAT or FAT32 partition, see
>http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/archives/200203/msg00047.html
>and related postings.

Thanks for the reference - the more information the better.

>>hiberfil.sys file on the
>>Windows 2000 partition, put there by the recovery CD IBM suppplied
>>with the Thinkpad.
>>
>W2K uses hiberfil.sys.
>(my) Linux uses save2dsk.bin.

So I'm beginning to gather (why does no one put this information on
their web pages about hibernation?  It's like everyone tries to get away
with saying the least they can manage - sheesh!  Are they worried
they'll lose something if they pass on their knowledge?  What's Free
Software about anyway? )

>>Fn+F12 and tpctl --H both don't hibernate, but give a low beep
>>sound. Fn+F4 does suspend.
>>tpctl --H also gives this message:
>>
>>tpctl: SMAPI BIOS error 0x91 ("system is invalid") -- exiting
>>

>I get this message whenever certain loadable kernel modules
>are loaded. This includes pcmcia and modem related modules.
>Unfortunately sometimes he refuses to software eject the
>pcmcia card -> can't unload the modules ->
>can't hibernate without reboot

This is something to track down, and it will probably take more
information to do it.

>>How is your partition set up?
>>
>hibernation file on FAT

There are 3 active FAT16 types listed in fdisk - 4, 6, and e (Windows 95
FAT 16), and there are 2 FAT32 types listed - b and c.  Which are you
using please?

Earlier versions of LILO couldn't boot a partition above the 1024
cylinder limit - modern ones can.  It might turn out that something like
this is true with hibernation files - I don't know yet, and there isn't
a lot of information to go on, so I can't eliminate the possibility.
 Could you say what your actual partition layout is?  Which partition
has the hibernation file on it?  What other OS do you boot if any?

fdisk -l /dev/hda will print out your partition table for inclusion into
a reply.

Thanks,
Bret