[ltp] Mandrake 8.2 vs. TP 600e

unlisted linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
17 Jul 2002 00:20:48 -0500

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 10:34, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> I'd try Debian, but I despise their installer. :)

dselect is awful.  after fighting it for three partial/failed installs
(inevitably the complexity and obscurity of dselect would cause me to
screw something up and instead of trying to fix it i would just abort
the install and immediately try again) i finally just decided to install
the base system (basically skipping dselect, or at least having it do
nothing), and once at done installing, run apt from the command-line.

deity and/or aptitude are much better console tools than dselect, and
hopefully dselect will be killed to the rejoicing of many people. ;-)

personally i use apt(-get) and apt-cache daily for my debian package
management needs.