[ltp] T21 hibernation

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:07:33 -0400

Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> D. Sen wrote:
>

>> Not true. I used stndalhd just last week to create a hibernation file
>> on a fat32 partition on /dev/hda1.
>>
>> Using stndalhd to just create the hibernation file will result in the
>> file being created in the first fat/fat32 partition that the file can
>> reside in. In your case this will be /dev/hda2
>>
>> I am guessing that there isnt enough space in /dev/hda2 for a
>> hibernation file.
>>
>> I have never had much luck with an a0 partition. I would try a
>> different partition scheme with the first fat/fat32 partition large
>> enough to hold the hibernation file.
>

> I toggled /dev/hda1 (W$k) to type b (LILO is toggling hda1 and hda2 back
> and forth for booting between them W2k and W98). I then pulled the
> hiberfil.sys file off hda1. stndalhd says there isn't a large enough
> contiguous space on my disks to create the file. (Thanks M$ - these
> people look more and more like a Trojan Horse).
>
> When I boot to W$k to defrag the disk, to try to arrange the contiguous
> space - it auto-reinstalls the hberfil.sys and takes up all the room
> again (see remark above).
>
> D. Sen, it would be really helpful if you would answer a few questions:
> Which machine do you have?
I have TP T21 (not for much longer) and T30.

> What operating systems do you boot on your machine?

The T21 has Linux and Win 98. The T30 only has linux (with a fat32
partition for the hibernation file).

> What partition do you have your hibernation file on? What type does
> linux fdisk say that partition is?

On the T30, the hibernation file is in /dev/hda1. fdisk reports type "c".

> Which bootloader do you use?

Grub.

> I'd like to put a single hibernation file on the system that W$k uses
> along with the BIOS hibernate, and I need the information so I can
> figure out:
> Is it possible?

I am not sure about Windows 2000/XP. The native file system there is
NTFS. IBM's standalone hibernation utitity specifically says that it
does not support NTFS.

> What do I need to do to trick W$k into letting it be the way I set it up?

If Windows 2000 uses a seperate mechanism than the BIOS to hibernate the
machine then this would be difficult. Linux depends on the BIOS for
hibernation. I dont know the answer to your question. My T30 came with
XP. But I got rid of that and just made a fat32 partition *just* for
hibernation.

> I don't expect anyone to figure this out for me, I just want the
> information so I can look into it myself.
>
> If necessary, I can dedicate room on /dev/hda2 to a separate hibernation
> file, and eventually maybe just take W$k off my system once I've got
> everything working in Linux (although I may need W$k for work depending
> on which zombie employer I hook up with next).
>
> But thanks for your answers - everything I learn helps me figure out
> other issues later even if I find I can't do what I'm attempting now.

Good luck.

> Regards,
> Bret

D. Sen, PhD