[ltp] Re: 4x AGP on the A31p (and T30)

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:06:28 -0400

Vidyut Luther wrote:
 > Just a note to all those who are using the AGP 4x mdoe by setting the
mode
 > in X config.
 >
 > This is what I got from Mike Harris,
 > "As far as AGP goes though, it doesn't matter what
 > card/chip you have.  XFree86 can only use whatever AGPmode that
 > the chipset is in when it starts up, which is currently
 > programmed by the BIOS."

Uhmm that tells me that XFree86 *can* use the 4x mode if the BIOS
initialized the chipset correctly. However, that doesnt tell me that the
relevant "options" line in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 does not make a
difference. Judging from the output of `glxinfo` and the speed at which
glxgears runs it would seem that specifying "AGPMode" "4" as opposed to
"AGPMode" "1" does make a difference.

It obviously makes a huge difference in terms of APM. Hope someone fixes
that soon.

DS

--
D. Sen, PhD