[ltp] Incorporating Thinkpad Detection into Lm_sensors

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:33:53 +0100

Charles E Taylor IV writes:
 > [Thinkpad detection]
 >
 > On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:43:24 -0500
 > Jim Redmond <jim@scrubnugget.com> wrote:
 >
 > > I'm pretty sure this is based on a .config setting, defined by the user.
 >
 > On my stock RH 7.3 Thinkpad 600, I notice the following in the startup
 > logs:
 >
 > IBM machine detected. Enabling interrupts during APM calls.

The code I pointed out to the lm_sensors guys is the code which
causes this line to be printed.  AFAIK, Linux always overrides the
setting of APM_ALLOW_INTS on all IBM machines, both in .config and
on the kernel command line: APM_ALLOW_INTS is forcibly set ON.

I've been experimenting with undoing all this so that I have
control of APM_ALLOW_INTS again.  I'm persuing my struggle to get
100% reliable suspend/resume on my T21.  Currently I'm running
with APM_ALLOW_INTS switched OFF.  It's a "well known fact" that
this doesn't work on thinkpads.  Well, it does on my T21.  It's
too early to say whether it's helped my suspend problems, as I'm
down to one failure every few weeks now, so it takes a long time
to test.  So far it's at least as reliable and maybe more
reliable.

Michael.