[ltp] Sound and the mwave modem (More on Redhat 7.3 vs the Thinkpad 600)

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:55:14 -0400

Some more information on the Thinkpad 600 vs. Redhat 7.3:

> * When the laptop comes back from hibernation, the sound volume is set
> to zero.  How do I prevent this?  Or, what do I edit to get the mixer
> settings restored to what they're set to at bootup (with aumix)?  It
> doesn't appear that the sound modules need to be removed/reloaded, as
> sound still works if I manually run the mizer app and slide the volume
> back up.

I'm guessing aumix -v 100 run when the computer wakes up will solve the
problem, but what do I need to edit to get it to run automatically when
I resume?

/etc/sysconfig/apmd might be a logical place to look, but how do I get it
to run an arbitrary program on resume?

> * Should I restart the mwave stuff after hibernation?  I haven't
> hibernated the laptop enough to note its effects on the mwave.

Now that I've resumed a few times, the mwave isn't in a sane state on
resume, so I edited /etc/sysconfig/apmd:

# some services might need restarting after a suspend/resume cycle - for
# example, named will shut down if all network interfaces go down.
# Any valid service (as in "ls /etc/init.d/") can be listed, and will be
# restarted if it was running at suspend time.
RESTORESERVICES="mwaved"

Now the mwave works after a resume, and the syslog show thta the modules
have been removed/reinserted on resume.  Before making this config
change,the mwave wouldn't dial out after waking the computer up.