[ltp] Redhat 7.3 vs the Thinkpad 600 - Notes and questions

Arnold Troeger linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:45:10 +0700

Andrew Lee wrote:

> Ok. I've finally had another go at putting Mandrake 8.2 on my TP600e
> Everything is installed nicely, and I've complied the mwavem stuff, and
> I can get it to load, first did
> insmod mwave, which loaded the module,
> then copied mwaved script to /etc/init.d/mwaved - set it to start at boot in
> the Control panel thing - but it didn't
> manually run mwaved start, and it says [OK]
> then typed mwavem, and it says
>
> mwave modem, initialising mwave manager...OK
> mwave modem, initialising modem specific code...OK
> mwave modem, getting config startup speed 64000.
> mwave modem, checking configured speed...OK
> mwave modem, setting modem speed...OK
> mwave modem, loading modem DSP...OK.
> mwave modem STARTED. To setup serial port use: 'setserial /dev/ttySx
> autoconfig'
>
> but then sits there in the console, doesn't return me to the prompt.
> and in KPPP Dialer it says, cant open modem when I try to query it.
>
> does anyone have any ideas of how
> a. I can get it all to load at startup
> b. I can then get it to work!!
>
> thanks

Andrew,
It looks like you're almost there.  Are you trying to manually run the
start script?  What happens when you run '/etc/rc.d/init.d/mwaved
start'?  Have you installed "minicom" on your notebook?  If not, you may
want to.  I've found it useful in determining that the modem is
working.  Are you using mwavem-1.0.3?  Can you have a look at
/var/log/messages to see what other bits are being logged, and if
possible, would you post the relevent bits to the list?
--
Arnold Troeger				Unocal Thailand
Phone:  011-66-2-545-5456      		5th Floor, Tower 3, SCB Park Plaza