[ltp] modem on IBM T22

Richard linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:42:49 +0100 (BST)

Hi Ronnel,

If that's the usual kind of Lucent Modem, then you have a "winmodem". But,
if you don't mind playing with binary-only dirvers, you can get a driver
from www.heby.de
The Lucent Modem I have on my A22p works like a charm - but note these
points if you have problems.

* Check the existence of the symlink /dev/modem -> /dev/tts/LT0
		[from memory - sorry if I've got that wrong!]

*You *may* need to manually load the lt_modem and lt_serial modules.

*Before you suspend, or allow the TP to suspend itself, make sure you are
offline. With one version (6.x) of the driver, a crash would occur
otherwise, and I could never wake the machine without a hard reset. it's
now in version 8.x, but I don't want to do the experiment again :-)

*Sometimes, the modem will lie to you, and claim that you don't have a
dial tone. It will also make a much quieter noise than the usual 2 sec of
dialtone that you hear. The fix is to try again...and again. Usually it
works within 6 times! That said, since I changed to the most recent
driver, I've not had the problem again.

(I'm using Mandrake 8.2 by the way).

Best wishes and good luck

Richard