[ltp] hibernate

ZeiMoT linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:39:29 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, David Margrave wrote:
> Does anyone here have hibernation working?  What's the performance like
> with 296 MB RAM to save/load?

I have hibernation working on my R30 without any problem beside the fact
that xfree does not like either suspend nor hibernation without screwing
up the dragging for the left mouse button. I have 128MiByte in RAM and I
personally think the hibernation is darn too slow. I wonder if it would be
any faster if the hiberation file was written to a flashdrive instead?

> How have you got your partitioning set up,i.e. whch partition is /,
> /boot, and the DOS FAT16 partition?  I recall that DOS wants to be one
> of the first if not the first, or maybe that was only if you were
> setting up win NT, and you had to hide any other partitions that would
> be before it.

/dev/hda1   *         1       820   6199168+   c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2          1840      1950    839160   1c  Hidden Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda3           821      1839   7703640    5  Extended
/dev/hda5           821       874    408208+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda6           875      1260   2918128+  83  Linux
/dev/hda7          1261      1839   4377208+  83  Linux

/dev/hda1 is the original windows installation even though it's resized,
and that is also where the
hibernation file goes, /dev/hda2 is the hidden partion with the restore
utilities bundled by IBM,  /dev/hda7 is my /home and /dev/hda6 is / the
rest is obvious.

> >What is the preferred way
> >to partition your drive to get the hibernation/utility DOS partition?

If I have understood correctly the hibernation procedure is stored in
BIOS, and the hibernation file needs to be in a file on a FAT/FAT32
filesystem on /dev/hda1, but I can be wrong, there is probably a way to
tweak this as well.

> >Have it as /dev/hda1 or have a linux /boot as hda1 and the DOS partition
> >as hda2?  Has anyone used a FAT16 as their /boot partition, which grub is
> >supposedly capable of booting from?

Are you referring to UMSDOS installations?

  -=< ZeiMoT >=-

 D a n i e l                                              /ei|\/|o |
 D a l e t h s s o n                                     /_  |  |  |