[ltp] battery

Tony Willoughby linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
28 Jun 2002 15:04:43 -0400

I have no idea if I have an "old" battery  or not (I bought the machine
refurbished).  It sounds like if I always allow the battery to fully
drain I'll be okay (i.e. new batteries don't have a problem with being
fully drained even though there is no need for it).

Yes?

On Fri, 2002-06-28 at 14:58, McCoy, Brig C. wrote:
> These are actually generic suggestions which should be okay for nearly all
> older batteries... newer batteries don't have as much of a problem with
> 'charge memory' as the older ones... if you didn't fully discharge the
> older batteries, they'd get messed up and gradually not take as much charge
> over time.
>
> ...brig
>
> At 02:45 PM 6/28/02 -0400, Tony Willoughby wrote:
>  >Are these proper procedures for any Thinkpad, or are they specific to
>  >the 600?  I have an 390E.
>  >
>  >> Yup thats exactly what you need the 600 is very good at killing batteries
>  >> particularly if you use them plugged in all the time....
>  >>
>  >> Some tips (to late now) for prolonging the life of it.... Remove battery
>  >> when it has been charged....
>  >>
>  >> If its going to be unused for a while, keep battery in a discharged state.
>  >>
>  >> When using the battery run it down fully before charging it back up
>  >> again... Ie don't plug is as soon as you get access to a power socket...
>  >> wait till its almost dead...
>
> --
> Brig C. McCoy               | <http://www.theworld.com/~brigc>
> 4722 Oak St, Apt 1033       | 816 885-2700
> Kansas City, MO 64112       | <BRIGC@WORLD.STD.COM>
>
> PGP Public Key: <http://www.theworld.com/~brigc/pgp/>

Tony Willoughby     tonyw@pobox.com
"You always say you know me, somehow I don't think you do.
 Maybe you should buy another vowel."
  - Warren Zevon