[ltp] battery

Jason Abate linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 22:07:25 -0500

Bob Olson wrote:

 >can you safely run a thinkpad with the battery out?

Yes, you can.  I've been battling this TP600 battery problem lately as
well - I've gone through three batteries in 9 months.  I discovered
recently that you can safely remove the battery when it is plugged into
AC power (at least under Linux - haven't tried with Windows).  I've been
popping the battery out once I plug into A/C, except when the battery is
almost drained.  So far it seems to be keeping a charge for much longer.

I've heard rumors that it's possible to adjust some BIOS settings to
prevent this problem from happening.  Does this ring any bells with
anyone?  I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I forget to plug in
before I pop the battery out :-(

-jason

--
Jason Abate