[ltp] SuSE 8.0 and PCMCIA

Christian Zoz linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:02:33 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, Bernard Fay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wish to install SuSE 8.0 on my laptop using ftp.  When loading the
> driver for my PCMCIA card (Linksys etherfast 10/100), the installer
> load the axnet_cs driver which is not the right one for my card, I
> need the pcnet_cs driver. I can unload the axnet_cs but the
> installation program does not let me load the pcnet_cs driver.

There are cards from some manufacturers which have different chips in
the same modell (depends on how old the card is)

> I tried hwprobe=-isapnp as a boot option but that didn't help.
>
> Does anyone knows how to get the proper driver in place?

You have to modify the bootfloppy. There is 'initdisk' on it. First
decompress it, then mount it as a loop device. Then you can modify
etc/pcmcia/config in it.

Or (i don't know if it works) you may use the very sparse shell in
console 9. Don't know if you have an 'insmod' there. Try it.

--

ciao, christian