[ltp] TP760 hardware setting disable irq 3 (needed for PCMCIA-card)

Ekkard Gerlach linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 17:54:25 +0100

Hello,

TP 760EL (DSTN-Display) seems to preserve irq 3 for
some special services. My PCMCIA-card (IBM, NE2000-compatible)
is always assigned irq 8, 9, 10 or 5 and not irq3. Why?

BIOS settings of TP 760EL don't allow turn off infrared device
or something other like in some BIOS of other TP's.

According to /proc/interrupts irq 3 is free! I already
tried to force irq3 by excluding the other IRQ's in
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts - but no success. irq 3 is untouched.

There is no sound driver installed. There are no other
devices installed that might have taken irq3.

With TP 760LD (my second TP) all works well.
irq 3 is assigned first.
A Xircom PCMCIA-Card works well in both TP's but not with
irq 3 but with irq 9.

I'm using Suse 7.2.

Why do I want to force irq 3 ? - Because ftp and telnet
wedges after typing username. (NFS works excellent!)
The client PC "rex" protocols in /var/log/messages
after 3 minutes:

 rex login: gerlachConnection closed by foreign Host

A telnet from rex to ama results:

  rex:~ # telnet ama
  Trying 192.168.0.22...
  Connected to ama.
  Escape character is '^]'.

ama protocols:
  ama telnetd[2239]: ttloop: read: Connection timed out

I'm sure it's because of TP 760EL hardware settings
because TP 760LD works fine with the same card and
with irq 3. (BTW: ftp and telnet ports are given free,
otherwise there xircom-PCMCIA-Card would not work either)

some ideas?
thx
Ekkard