[ltp] New tpctl debs -- please test

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
02 Mar 2002 16:34:49 -0500

Hello, users of Debian on ThinkPads,

I have prepared debian packages of tpctl 3.1.  They are
available via the links near the top of
   http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tp600lnx.htm

I'd like to get these packages into woody.  Since woody's
freeze is getting near, I want to work the bugs out of
these packages quickly; so I would appreciate it if you
would test them and report your experiences.  Write to me
at jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk.

Installation notes
------------------
FORMERLY, you needed to get the tpctl-modules-source and
tpctl packages.  The tpctl-modules-source package was used
to build a tpctl-modules-kernver package which contained
the required loadable driver modules.

NOW, you need to get the thinkpad-base, thinkpad-source
and tpctl packages.  The thinkpad-source package is used
to build a thinkpad-modules-kernver package (using
make-kpkg) which contains the required loadable driver
modules.  The latter package depends on the thinkpad-base
package which contains configuration files.

Thus, you should follow the following procedure
0. Install the three tpctl-related and the "kernel-package" packages
1. Purge tpctl, tpctl-modules-source and any old
   tpctl-modules-* packages
2. Install thinkpad-base, thinkpad-source and tpctl
3. cd /usr/src ; tar zxvf thinkpad.tar.gz
4. cd <your-linux-kernel-tree> ; sudo make-kpkg modules_image
5. cd .. ; sudo dpkg --install thinkpad-modules-your.kern.ver_blah.deb
6. Test tpctl

--
Thomas