[ltp] TP760 hardware setting disable irq 3 (needed for PCMCIA-card)

Victor Wagner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 10:18:55 +0300 (MSK)

On Sat, 2 Mar 2002, Ekkard Gerlach wrote:

> TP 760EL (DSTN-Display) seems to preserve irq 3 for
> some special services. My PCMCIA-card (IBM, NE2000-compatible)
> is always assigned irq 8, 9, 10 or 5 and not irq3. Why?
>
> BIOS settings of TP 760EL don't allow turn off infrared device
> or something other like in some BIOS of other TP's.

There is three builtin devices on the TP 760 which can use IRQ3

1. Builtin serial port
2. MWAVE modem
3. Infrared port.

It takes considerable amount of thoughts to make all three work
simulateously.

As far as I remember (I've not booted my thinkpad into DOS and run PS/2
for year now), it is possible to assign IRQ 9 or 10 to IR.

First serial port should be 4, and MWAVE might be disabled at all.
At least Thinkpad 760ED uses old version of MWAVE which is not supported
by open-source drivers released by IBM.

> According to /proc/interrupts irq 3 is free! I already

/proc/interrupts lists irqs used by devices, for which your kernel
has drivers. If it is assigned to MWAVE and there is no driver for
MWAVE loaded, it would be listed as free.  Even if MWAVE is enabled
on hardware level and actualy takes this interrupt.

> ama protocols:
>   ama telnetd[2239]: ttloop: read: Connection timed out

I suppose that this is not an IRQ problem. Rather something else
is wrong with your PCMCIA setup. Check other cardbus settings.

There are very helpful commands in PS2.EXE - PS2 ? IRQ and PS2 ? DMA
which shows graphical "map" of IRQ and DMA assignment.

--
Victor Wagner			vitus@ice.ru
Chief Technical Officer		Office:7-(095)-748-53-88