[ltp] Serial Console Install

Jack Heim linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:03:51 -0600

I'm trying to do a serial console install of linux on a Thinkpad 755. It's
a 486 dx/100 with 24 Mb RAM. I don't need much because I'm blind and I
don't run x -- it's character mode all the way for me.

I need to do a serial console install because I have a screen reader on my
PC. I run a terminal emulator and that way I can listen to the output from
the installation program. I'm installing slackware version... Shoot, I
forgot which version but it's fairly recent.

but I'm not getting anything on my terminal emulator. From reading the list
archives, I know that the serial port is disabled by default. I can't
figure out how to enable it. I think I need a program called ps.exe.

I tried downloading a spsdit programs from the IBM web site but I couldn't
get it to unarchive. I think it needs to be run on a Thinkpad and I can't
do that because I have no screen reader on the Thinkpad.

Can someone help me get the right program to enable the serial port on my
Thinkpad?