[ltp] VMware sound in Mandrake 8.1 guest on T20

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:55:25 +0100

On Thursday 07 March 2002 17:08, you wrote:
> I have been reading through some posts about running either windoze or
> Linux on VM on thinkpads.
>
> I've got a (now old) T20 running win2000 (that I hape to keep as host for
> business purposes...) with VMware 3.0 installed and running Mandrake 8.1 as
> guest.  VMware help states that you can set up sound in your guest using
> your host's sound card if this is Sound Blater (16) compatible. I believe
> the Crystal SoundFusion (cs46xx or cs461x) is SB compatible but I haven't
> managed to get any sound in my virtual machine...

The Sound Blaster hardware emulated by VMware has nothing to do with the real
sound card on your host machine. All you have to do is install the SB 16
driver insinde vmware (compile the sb module for your kernel) and assign IO
address 220, IRQ 5 and DMA 1 to the driver (in /etc/modules.conf or using
insmod).

Tino